Bergamot orange or Citrus Bergamia is a kind of orange which in Europe is grown mainly in southern Italy. In studies on humans showed an impressive ability to regulate blood fats.
Italy is a major world producer of this fruit. When this fruit is added to tea, gives a magical flavor and aroma. It is known that the bergamot has a beneficial effect in a case of stress and anxiety that contribute to the proper functioning of the heart, acting anti-inflammatory and relieves digestive problems. However, in the regulation of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood, this fruit has shown impressive results, which confirmed the fundamental scientific research.
One study, conducted in 2016, 6 months followed patients who were given a fixed dose of extract of bergamot juice, which contained about 150 mg of flavonoids that this fruit contains (47% neohesperidose, 37% naringin and 16% neoeriocitrina). After an investigation, it was found that this treatment significantly reduced lipid plasma and improve lipoprotein profile.
According to the results of this study, the extract of bergamot orange is among the respondents, after 6 months:
- reduce total cholesterol from 6.6 to 5.8 mmol / l
- triglycerides decreased from 1.8 to 1.5 mmol)
- reduce LDL-cholesterol from 4.6 to 3.7 mmol / l
- HDL cholesterol increased from 1.3 to 1.4 mmol
In addition, the researchers found:
- a significant increase in LDL-1 from 41.2 to 49.6%
- accompanied by reduction of small, dense LDL-3, -4, and 5 items respectively: from 14.5 to 9.0%; 3.2 to 1.5%; 0.3 to 0.1%.
The thickness of the two inner layers of the carotid artery (the so-called. CIMT) also decreased from 1.2 to 0.9 mm.
All these results are favorable and more than encouraging for those who seek to regulate fat in the blood and reduce the risk of heart disease in a completely natural way.